BS8555 and ISO14001
BS 8555 and ISO 14001 both provide a framework that an organization can follow to set up an environmental management system.
They can be adopted by any organization regardless of its activity or sector.
BS 8555 was developed so that organisations could achieve an environmental standard which was suitable to the size and nature of their business. It is broken down into five phases so organisations can choose to implement and remain if they so choose, as many do, at the phase which is appropriate to them. The organisation is able to achieve recognition for any phase providing it has been independently and successfully inspected.
- Provides added value to Pre-Qualification Questionnaires when tendering for work.
- Potentially identifies efficiency savings in your company to reduce costs as well as environmental impact.
- Provides your customers with information that they are dealing with an organisation that takes its environmental responsibilities seriously.
- Backs up any existing Environmental Policy you may have with a formal management programme.
- Complements existing standards and membership such as CHAS, Constructionline, quality standards, etc.
- Helps you to manage compliance with environmental legislation such as waste disposal.
- Minimises your risk of polluting the environment and potential prosecutions.
- Helps you to manage your sub-contractors so that their work on your behalf does not cause you problems in terms of environmental non-compliance.